Sunday, July 31, 2011

My summer in review

Today marks the end of my summer. Tomorrow I'm back to work full time. The kids come on August 10, so I have a few days to get things ready. It's amazing to think how quickly the summer has flown by!
My summer was amazing. I accomplished a lot, and I grew a lot. I'm heading into this next school year with a different perspective and focus. It's a good thing.

What I did not do this summer:
  • stay on track with my work. I'm contracted through ASU to write some teacher training protocols, and I have procrastinated doing these. I finished one, and I have two more to go. My intent was to finish these early in the summer, but it just didn't happen. Fortunately my boss for this project is very flexible.
  • organize and de-clutter my home. It's still a bit disorganized and chaotic.

What I did do this summer:
  • started eating healthier and exercising. I've lost 30+ pounds and I feel fantastic. I get to shop for new clothes today! I cleaned out my closet yesterday and took out stacks of old things that are worn out and too big.  I'm not nearly done with my weight loss, but it's a big start and I'm proud of it.
  • reconnected with my husband. Circumstances beyond our control forced us to spend more time apart than we're used to. It's been a very good thing, because we reconnected and are dedicated to making changes this school year to ensure we stay that way. He usually stays up later than I do, which is cool, except we got into the habit of me just going to bed. We've committed to spending at least four nights a week laying down together and just talking, cuddling, etc. before I go to sleep.  It's working very well so far and I appreciate the time to just be with him. We are also committing to spending one week night a week with no television or internet. We're not exactly sure what this is going to look like, but I anticipate it will involve board games, walks, going to plays, spending time with family and possibly even taking in some local school sporting events. I'm looking forward to this time so much.
  • spent quality time with every member of my family. I made two trips to Tennessee, the last of which was to retrieve my grandmother. We have no family left out there, and she's been living alone for years in a huge house. We found an assisted care facility three miles from my house, and she agreed to move there! I brought her back last weekend and she's been settling in very well. I love going to spend time with her; in fact, we're having lunch with her today.
  • found out my step-grandmother has pancreatic cancer. She's an amazing woman and I'm so sad to know she has a tough, painful road ahead.
  • grew stronger.  I grew in so many ways it's not even funny.  I've had to exercise extreme patience and compassion.  I'm learning to slow down and enjoy moments, and to not take things for granted.  I feel so lucky and so loved.
I'm ready to go back to work.  I've got my class list and I've written letters to my students.  I'm ready to get to know them and love them.  I'm ready to continue taking care of myself and being there for my family.  It's been an incredible summer and I'm sad to see it end, but I'm excited about learning what the future holds for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment